So this week was fun. We went to the temple, for starters!
We arrived a bit later than we wanted because Elder Schiavoni got sick and we
had to walk slowly. But we got there right on time for the session. We took the
train to the Bus Station in Porto Alegre. There, we searched for a bus that'd
take us to the Burro of the Temple. I started asking people in the street for
directions, nobody knew. In the meantime, Elder Schiavoni was trying not to
throw up.
Well from nowhere, two guys in military uniforms came over
to talk to me. I wasn't quite sure what they wanted, but they started asking
weird questions about the Church. They told me that they frequent the Universal
Church, which is pretty popular here in Brazil. They were trying to
"Confound me with their words" like the bad guys always do in the
Book of Mormon. So instead of answering all their questions, I bore my
testimony and invited them to come to church. Well then they started laughing
and congratulating me, because they were actually members of the church. They
complemented me for being a good missionary and then gave us directions to get
the bus that went to the Burro "Chácara das Pedras" (which is where
the temple is). Poor Elder Schiavoni ended up throwing up on the bus, but after
that he felt a lot better.
So we were pretty lucky this week because we caught the new
train. There are several trains that pass on the line, and when you're lucky,
you get the new ones that have air conditioning and are completely open- you
can walk from one car to the other. So Elder Giles and I decided that we'd get
in the train on the first car and that we'd manage to cross the whole train
before having to get out. So we went weaving around the people because it was
pretty crowded and managed to get all the way to the last car before getting
off! I'm pretty sure that we're the first people ever to do that! I wonder what
the security guys thought!
To motivate a companionship of Sisters in Portão, I
challenged them to do more contacts than me, promising to make a banana and
strawberry cake for the winner. So I bought the stuff and went to bake the cake
(which I took to the District Meeting to give them). Well I put the bananas in
the blender and found out something really important- our blender has a hole in
it! So when the banana turned into liquid, it all spilled out onto the shelf
and the floor. Luckily, I'd bought extra bananas!
Last week we found Marisa. She seemed a bit skeptical about
our message, but she accepted to pray and to receive our second visit. So we
went there again and she had received an answer to her prayer! When things like
that happen, it makes my testimony stronger- because it confirms that God
really does answer prayers! Lots of times people don't pray, and lots of times
they don't ever recognize their answer. But she explained to us how she felt-
and that she would follow the answer. Sadly, she ended up not going to church
:(
Another Investigator also received an answer to her prayer
this week - Carine. She told us that after reading the part we'd marked in the
Book of Mormon and answering the questions that we'd written in the margin,
that she prayed. She too recognized the answer and told us that she wants to be
baptized. Yay! The Transfer is tomorrow and São Leopoldo is going to change to
have Sisters. That means that we're going to leave. So the Sisters will be
happy to arrive here with two Investigators just waiting to be baptized!
Elder Jasperson
No comments:
Post a Comment