Monday, March 30, 2015

March 30, 2015

So with the transfer I ended up in Alvorada. I'm training a new missionary- Elder Tavares. He's from the north of Brazil, a city called Olinda, in Pernambuco. He has a TON of energy. Sometimes I feel like I got the companion from "The Best Two Years" - Elder Calhoun.

Our first day we arrived in Alvorada and started to work. We´re opening a new area here. I got the map and gave it to Elder Tavares, telling him to hold onto it. Then we got out of the house and out in the road and I asked him for the map. Oops! He forgot it at home! Well, I kind of remembered the things I'd seen on the map, so we kind of wandered around and we ended up managing to find where we wanted to go. And then Elder Tavares looked at me with those giant greeny eyes and said "Wow! We followed the Spirit!" :)
That night we kind of got lost getting back home. Elder Tavares started running around like a crazy guy saying "this way... no, that way!" in the end, we managed to find our house :) I made a "torta de bolacha" to welcome him to the mission.

So we passed most of the week walking and walking and walking... but we managed to teach a lot too. In the end, it was a good week.
Ever since I've been on the mission, I've heard about Alvorada- how it is a really dangerous city. They say that the Burro "Umbu" is the most dangerous in the state. Well, we decided to go and check it out. From what we saw, it wasn't actually that bad! But I guess that depends on what you call bad. That Burro is really far away from the church though, so we won't be going there that much, I think.

In the countdown, I'm down to 10 weeks left! I can tease elder Tavares a lot- the number of days he has on the mission is the number of weeks I have left! But actually, I'm really going to miss the mission. I don't want to go home that much (even though I love y'all!) In sacrament meeting, a young woman who returned from her mission last week bore her testimony. She too didn't want to come home yet! I guess most missionaries feel like that. She received her mission call, went on the mission, and came home, all in the time that I've been on the mission.

And the best part about Alvorada? It is beside the airport so I get a constant reminder every day of airplanes passing overhead!

Love Y'all!

Elder Jasperson

??, Elder Jasperson, and Elder Hortêncio 

pig's head barbeque

elder dos anjos and me ready to leave

celebratory cracker pie

No comments:

Post a Comment