Alma 30, especially vs 19-21 teach us that we need to expel
bad things from among us. This chapter shows us how the Nephites decided to be
faithful by not letting temptation enter among them. We should do the same
thing with our lives. The minute that a tempting urge enters, we need to chase
it out!
This week was really different and fun for me. It started
with the leaving of elder R. Santos. I helped him pack his bags and now he's in
his house! That same day that I went with him to Porto Alegre, I picked up a
new missionary to train. Elder Hortêncio is from Paraíba (Brazil). His city is
pretty cool (beach and stuff) way up on the north part of the country. So he's
dying from the cold.
Anyway, we had a nice meeting with all of the new
missionaries that came in (11 sisters and 5 elders) and then everyone went to
the bus station to go to their new areas. Well the other 8 elders easily
managed to get to the bus station with their suitcases and caught their busses.
Elder Hortêncio and I were doing great too, until we realized that there were
22 sister missionaries behind us struggling with their suitcases. So we passed
our afternoon walking back and forth helping the sisters with the suitcases.
Not that they wouldn't have managed on their own, but it was the right thing to
do. Anyway, we finally managed to get a bit of rest on our 2 hour ride to Rio
Pardo and then we had dinner with Brother Wilson. (Which I had arranged the day
before, knowing that we'd be hungry)
I was starving and ate about 8 servings of rice and beans.
Elder Hortêncio, however, doesn't eat very much. Brother Wilson kept telling
him to eat more, but he didn't even manage to eat one serving! That was funny.
I think he was amazed by how much I eat!
Along the lines of food, I found out this week that rice and
maple aren't that bad together. We had some leftover rice, and there wasn't
anything else in our house to eat with the rice. So I poured some maple syrup
on top and it was pretty good. Then to help the flavor a bit, I put chocolate
chips on top :)
| rice, maple syrup, and chocolate chips! |
This week we were blessed with the baptism of Adriana and
Marlise. Adriana is Marlise's mother. They are relatives of the Branch
President. Marlise is a great convert. She wants to serve a mission because she
really felt a change when she prayed to know if the Book of Mormon is true. Her
mom is happy to be baptized as well. Along with a wonderful baptism, we had
some great meetings on Sunday! We even managed to have 10 investigators at
church! That was a miracle! But the branch working together made it happen!
One of the people who came to church was Gerlei. He came
with his girlfriend, Lilian on his moto. They were really interested in the
classes and he really paid attention in sacrament meeting. I noticed at one
point that Lilian was trying to hold his hand, but he was paying so much
attention to the words of the speaker that he didn't even notice! That was
pretty funny! Anyway, I'm glad that the spirit works like that inside of
people. We'd had a really super powerful lesson with them this week. After the
lesson, Elder Hortêncio's eyes were about to fly out of the sockets. I said
"what's the problem? Did you forget that the church is true?" I was joking,
of course, but he sure didn't know what hit him! Being a missionary is awesome!
Anyway, it was a great week. Today, we went out exploring a
little bit. We found the Rio (river) of Rio Pardo. By the side, we found this
cool lighthouse thing and since we didn't see any “No Trespassing” signs,
decided to check out the view. It was pretty cool. But the most fun part was
when we found a random couch by the riverbank. We had some fun taking pictures
there. I almost fell into the water when we were being "fishers of
men." Then Elder Hortêncio would've been a real fisherman! It's a good
thing that he's about as crazy as I am because it means we can have fun in the
simple things!
| Elder H on the light house stairs |
| me enjoying the view from the light house |
| an old couch by the river |
| elder H fishing for me |
| me fishing for elder H |
Have a great week and pioneer day and all that good stuff :)
Elder Jasperson
| here is how my shoes are holding out ... I polished them after the picture so they look better now! |
No comments:
Post a Comment