Well this week started good on Pday when I went out to throw
a football with Elder Soares (yes, he has a football). He played football
professionally, before his mission, and was a starter on the National Champion
Team of Brazil. Anyway, football isn't really normal here, so he had to get all
dressed up to play it. He put on a jersey, high socks, and cleats … the whole
deal. It's funny because for me, going out to play a game of catch is just a
normal thing. Culture differences are fun :)
So I thought a lot this week, after playing football, about
having more power. Because to be a football player, you have to be strong. For
me, however, I thought more about spiritual power. Alma 17:2-3 has a nice bit
about how we can have more spiritual power.
I also read up on the blessings that come from temples.
There's some good stuff in D&C 109:13-15, 21-30, 38-39, and 55-57.
Transfers are tomorrow, and I'm leaving, so I don't know
when I'll be able to go to the temple again. Maybe I'll go to a place that's
still close by so I can visit the temple soon!
Anyway, Monday night, we did a FHE at Brother Nilvo's house.
His daughter, Jessica, invited a friend, and we had a nice little lesson about
prophets. It took me back to old times when I had parties at my house, because
I used one of the same games that we used to use as an activity for FHE.
After Monday, things got complicated here in Porto Alegre
because the buses went on strike. They're still on strike. It only affected us
a little, but it helped us a lot because lot of people couldn't go to work and
a lot more people were at home. It's a pretty bad strike though, because people
aren't working, and aren't getting money. Stores are losing money too because
people aren't going to Central anymore. The people on strike throw rocks at any
bus that is operating, breaking the windows, and they also have burned several
busses.
On Thursday, we had District Conference, so we had to get to
a different zone of Porto Alegre. We tried to find a bus from a different
company (there are some small companies too that are still working), but we
couldn't catch a single bus. We ended up having to pay a taxi to go to the
conference. To return, we went to a really rich zone called Chacaras das
Pedras, where we'd heard we would be able to catch a bus. But we couldn't. We
were stuck there for half the day until we got a Taxi to take us back to
Sarandi (our zone). That was an adventure! I learned that Taxis are expensive!
But worse than that, the two marriages that we have been
waiting for fell through! Katia moved (literally, moved. She took all of the
stuff from the house and went) to the beach and won't answer our phone calls.
Carlos doesn't have a phone. Tais (Katia's daughter) was still planning to get
married, but since her husband works for the bus company, he didn't get his
paycheck and they couldn't pay for the marriage. It's frustrating to see how
Satan messes things up. It's also frustrating to see Katia running from the
gospel. It's really sad to see a family that moved so much reject the very
thing that changed them.
Despite that, we baptized Álisson this week. He's 13 years
old and is pretty funny. He's still a little shy, but he's excited to be able
to serve a mission. We were also really happy to see Liniker at church on Sunday
with his wife, Camila. Their family too, is one that has moved because of the
gospel.
| Álisson's baptism |
Lastly, I'm being transferred, and I'm really excited to get
to know a new area. Elder Soares will be a trainer this transfer, so I'm
excited for him too!
Have great weeks everyone!
Elder Jasperson
No comments:
Post a Comment