Tuesday, February 25, 2014

February 24, 2014

Hello World

This week a lot of cool stuff happened. For example, I got to teach Santa. But more on that in a bit.

I started to read the Book of Mormon from the start again, and I passed through Jacob this week. Jacob 3:1 is cool. We are told to pray so we can receive council from God and overcome those that want to destroy us. Compare that with D&C 10:5. Also, I felt bad for those books in the bible that nobody reads (Like Habakkuk and stuff) so I decided to read through them. I found a cool analogy in Haggai 2:12. Basically, just because we are good doesn't mean that our surroundings are going to change to be good like us. But if we are among bad things, we can be changed. How does this relate? We need to be watchful of our surroundings.

So this week I taught Santa, right? Yeah. We taught her alright. Her? Yeah. We met a woman named Santa. Which is weird in Portuguese too because it means something like "Saint" or "Sacred." She was pretty cool. We asked her to pray (as the closing prayer) before we left, and in that prayer, she asked to know if our message was true. Then, in the middle of the prayer she just stopped talking and starting bawling. We waited for her to recover and finish the prayer. She said that she then knew we our message was true. So we passed her house a second time to invite her to go to church and she said that she decided that she can`t leave her church because she has commitments there. But one day, she said, she will visit our church. It's sad to see people make choices like that, but nobody can be forced to follow the gospel.

Another sad thing that happened that day is that Marcio decided that he doesn't want to be baptized anymore. But, we found lots of new investigators this week and have hope for the coming weeks to find more. For example, yesterday, we went to contact a family that I met in the street. Laura, Luana, Jilaberto, and Amanda. They received our message awesomely and everything. Yay for good families with good intentions!

On Thursday I got to go to Novo Hamburger to see the doctor (Novo Hamburger means "New Hamburger," which I think is cool). The best part about that city (which is about 10 min from ours by train) is that the train is free there! Here in São Léopoldo we have to pay 1,70 reais to take the train, but there it's free to get on.

Lastly, we went to the birthday party of Luis on Friday. He went all out (Like all Gaúchos do) and bought a ton of meat. We had a huge barbeque and everything. He sent us home with two huge bags of meat and rice. Well that turned out handy because on Sunday we didn't have anything to eat, so us 4 (Elder Rech and Elder Blair that work in this ward too) went home and ate what Luis had given us. Luis has a huge heart. He doesn't have much, but he always wants to give the best to the missionaries. We went to his house last night and he sent us home with more food :)

The ward here did a fundraiser for their youth activities and did a garage sale (like we always do on Memorial Day in the College Station wards) and I bought a new bag for 1 real :) My old bag (since we can't use backpacks) is getting really beat up and the new one is cool, so it totally was worth it!

Have great weeks and keep smiling!


Elder Jasperson

Pictures of the week

Elder Wilker, Elder Jasperson (with mask)
Elder Blair as Naymar, Elder Rech as Gaucho

notice that I received a new apron for Christmas
it is the Texas flag!
also notice Elder Blair's super cool neck tan line!

No comments:

Post a Comment