Monday, January 6, 2014

January 6, 2014 (Happy New Year!)

So how does the New Year work for missionaries in the Elizabeth Ward in Porto Alegre, Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil? Let me tell you. They hang out at the house of some cool members for a bit, eat sandwiches with goat cheese and ham (which is called "tomando café" which actually means "drinking coffee" even though that makes no sense at all literally). The whole eating sandwiches thing is just a normal snack, not a Brazilian tradition, or anything, but it was good anyway. They then go to sleep and wake up at midnight when everything blows up. Not really. But we live on one of the more traveled roads and so there was a lot of fireworking and drinking and yelling and stuff. Elder 1 says to Elder 2 "Feliz ano novo, Elder" and they go to sleep again.

I studied a lot about faith this week. I am liking Ether chapter 12. How many times does it say "Faith" in that chapter? It sure says "Fé" about 100 times in my scriptures! I liked verses 6, 12, 27, and 30 especially. One cool thing about faith is that faith isn't just a feeling, it's an action. When we act, we have faith. If we have faith that faith moves mountains but don't try to move the mountain, we don't actually have faith. Similarly, if we have faith that God answers prayers, but don't pray, we don't actually have that faith.

After that, I liked Jacob 4:10 which tells us that we are to follow the Lord, being submissive, and are not to try to teach him. Or, in other words, we shouldn't try to justify our own will if the Lord's is contrary

Lastly, I found Mosiah 26:1-4 interesting- it shows that even the parents in the Nephite era had problems with children who didn't believe. I like how it says that they didn't believe in the traditions of their parents. In other words, if religion is just a tradition, our children will have a hard time believing it. Religion and faith have to be more than just a tradition, they have to be things we live and do and teach.

Anyway, this week went by fairly quickly. We got a new fan, which is indescribably better than the old fan. You can look at the pictures and guess which one is new (hint- the old one isn't really cool looking). It also wasn't super-hot like it was previously, because it rained. On the first rainy day, I actually wasn't even in Porto Alegre. I was on a division in Alvorada. There, I worked with Elder Swann, who has 1 month less than me on the mission. He's American too. I thought it would be hard to work with him, since I'm still not perfect with Portuguese, but it wasn't that bad. I liked having a chance to lead and help him with the language and teaching. Anyway, we were just walking in the street when the sky opened and the entire Atlantic ocean fell on us (Luckily the ocean was strangely empty of fish). After being thoroughly drenched, we returned home that night to find that I forgot my towel in our house in Porto Alegre. The next day I returned home, and for the first time in history, Elder Jasperson used an umbrella in Porto Alegre. That was nice. I returned home dry and that was weird. Usually we return home soaked in rain or in sweat. I guess umbrellas are useful after all!

Old Fan

 
New Fan!

There in Alvorada, we taught a confused catholic man. For me, he is a testimony that this world is full of religious confusion. We taught him about the Gospel of Christ, and he didn't understand why we don't baptize babies. I asked him if he thought Mary, the mother of Jesus, was perfect and he said yes. I asked him why Mary didn't baptize Jesus when he was a baby and he said he didn't know. I then told him it was because babies don't have sin and don't need to be baptized. He said that babies do have sin- original sin. I asked him what that was and he said "from our previous lives." I asked him what previous lives and he told me all about reincarnation- how even Jesus was reincarnated after three days. I asked him if he was sure he was Catholic, and he said yes, that he goes to the Catholic Church every Sunday. I told him that even Catholics don't believe in Reincarnation, that it doesn't exist, that we will all resurrect. He insisted that reincarnation is real, and I told him he wasn't catholic. It's kind of funny, but it's also sad to see how many people are lost in the confusion of doctrine and churches and everything. It's comforting to know that we have a fullness of the doctrine here on earth.

We taught an older lady this week too. She didn't really want to listen, but she gave us some wise counsel. "Not all of us can be beautiful," she said, pointing to Elder Jasperson, "and not all of us are ugly either," she concluded, pointing to Elder Soares. If she wasn't being so serious Elder Soares and I would have died of laughter. Instead, we almost died of holding the laughter in.

If that wasn't enough to give me a big head, I got an even better compliment yesterday. Elder Soares and I were walking down the road when a young man ran up to us, shouting. He asked us to stop and asked me if I remembered him. I didn't. He then told me that I sing like an angel. He also told me who he was and I remembered him. He told me that my voice is so beautiful he can't forget it and he asked me to sing for him in the street. Elder Soares almost passed out from laughter. Keeping a straight face, I wrote down his address and marked a day to pass by. I'm glad life isn't all about being super serious all the time.

Here's the backstory, which is actually pretty miraculous.

Last transfer, working with Elder Luz, we made contact in the street with an inactive woman who told us that for the first time in a long time, she had prayed that morning, asking for direction. We marked a day to pass by and did. There, we met her son, who had a friend over. She had asked us to help her with her son, who is a little rebellious. Anyway, we sat down and got the son and his friend to sit with us and we prayed. After praying we talked a little about how God is our father. I felt impressed that we should sing for them I told Elder Luz, and he asked if I had a hymn book. I didn't. So instead, I sang "I am a child of God" for them in English and in German (thanks to dad for having us memorize that in FHE many years ago). Well the teenage boys thought it was hilarious and left the house laughing. I was a little embarrassed, but we finished the lesson and left. Anyway, now, about 6 weeks later, the young man in the street is the friend in the story. He said he can't forget the beauty of the song. So maybe all of that story was just to prepare this young man. We'll see.

Lastly, here's a fun thought. In Portuguese, there two verbs that are pretty similar. "Expiar" means "to atone" and espiar means "to peek." They actually have the same sound. The thing is, "Expiação" (atonement) and "espiação" (peeking) also have the same sound. So people who aren't accustomed with our religious vocab often get confused when members of the church talk about the great peeking of Christ, or how he peeked for us. :)

Have a great new year!

Elder Jasperson

Baptism

Baptism



No comments:

Post a Comment