Monday, November 4, 2013

November 4, 2013

Well sorry this might be short because for some reason I lost all my time today in writing letters to my family. But I love them and so that's not a problem. 

This week I studied the 10 commandments. I studied how God revealed the commandments to Adam and Eve- for example, he married them so they could live the law of chastity. I think one commandment that we don't really talk about much is the last one. Don't covet. I think we all are covetous and we just don't realize it. So that's something I'm working on.

Anyway, I liked the fifth commandment too. It says that we should keep the Sabbath day holy. But read it carefully. It also is a commandment not to be lazy. We should work for 6 days and rest for one.

I had a weird dream one night this week in which a street contact was yelling a scripture reference at me. When I woke up, I looked it up. It was Alma 37:8. I like that scripture. It talks about why we have the Book of Mormon.

I also found Moroni 10:24 interesting.

Lastly, I studied a bit about faith. I found the lists of things done by faith in Ether 12 (6-22) and Hebrews 11 really interesting.

Rita
But what happened this week? First, we went out with a recently returned missionary. He was super helpful and we taught a ton of lessons. He is also a little bit strange. I guess the transition takes a while.
playing with the sun in Primavera
This week I was really blessed with protection. Because twice I came close to being injured, one of these injuries probably would have sent me home. We were walking past a factory to go to an appointment in Primavera. Elder Angus and I were looking for an address in our planners. The road by the factory is long and straight and it's easy to walk without looking. Anyway, people 'park' their horses on the opposite side of the road, close to the walking lane. I walked into the rear end of a horse. Which was strange because they always stay close to the fence because that's where the grass is. Anyway, it had backed up into the road in front of me. And when I looked up I saw it kick and I thought it was going to hit me. Luckily, the hoof missed my knee by an inch or two. I smacked that horse and yelled and it bolted, but I think I was more scared than it was. I thought of Brother Langston, one of my old scout masters, who always would tease me about being one step behind- when we would race or play capture the flag. Luckily for me, this time I was a step behind!

The second incident happened Halloween night. We didn't realize it was Halloween until a bit later when we saw a group of teenage girls with painted faces walking with some little kids and their parents. They go door to door in big groups because it's a little dangerous at night. Anyway, a really big group of teen boys walked past us. It was strange because it was a really big group. Anyway, they walked past us, said some rude stuff, and kept going- like teens always do. And then suddenly they all took off running. We kept walking when suddenly- BOOM!! The tree right behind us in someone's front yard blew up! Lucky for me, this time I was a few steps ahead! We kept walking, a little deafer, but completely fine!

Windy City
So this week it was really, really windy. We felt like we were walking and pulling trailers behind us. But Osorio is nicknamed the windy city, so it makes sense. We focused on finding inactives to bring to church this week. We found Evandro and Evana. They were going to come to church with us yesterday, but that fell through. But they did make a visit with us to an investigator's house. That was nice! I was impressed that when they aren't even active and active members don't have much time to help, they were able to do a visit with us. That was great! We also knocked into three different houses of inactives without even knowing it!

Land in heaven guaranteed by Pope
We're teaching Janet right now, a professor of art. She's really awesome! She is a great artist and she's really looking for God. She felt the spirit in our last lesson and told us we were two angels sitting in her house. She even started to use"tu" the formal form of the word "you" for us (with the formal conjugation. I only understood because the bible uses that type of conjugation. It was like she was saying "Thou art an angel"). Janet has a cool story. She has a document in her house from her great grandparents. They bought land in Heaven from the pope. She said it was pope number 12 who signed the document. So they've got some property guaranteed for their family! (I sent a photo) Luckily for us, she doesn't believe that it's true and she really liked learning about the Plan of salvation.

Well, I'm out of time, but I love you all! Especially my parents. I'm really seeing how important it is to have good parents!


Elder Jasperson



No comments:

Post a Comment