Monday, November 11, 2013

November 11, 2013

Well it's raining again. It started yesterday (of course, we were without umbrellas). Last night the lightning storm started. It still hasn't ended, but it's weaker now. The black sky was flashing white and little rivers of light were running all around. That was sweet. Luckily it wasn't raining a ton because we were about 40 minutes away from home, without umbrellas. Then overnight it started pouring so now we're having fun with a ton of wet!

Last night we got a call from our leaders of the zone, telling us who would be transferred. I'm being transferred, but I don't know where because they don't tell us until we arrive in Porto Alegre tomorrow. The only thing we find out (thorough email today) is if we are going to be a Zone Leader or if we are going to train (neither of these apply to me).

I'm excited to get to know a new area, but I'm sad to leave Osório. It is really nice here. And I really like Elder Angus. He and I work together really well. I'm also sad to leave because we just started to remodel the apartment so I won't get to finish (just kidding) and we have a bunch of awesome investigators that I won't get to teach anymore. (Attached is a picture of our beginning to remodel the apartment).

Anyway, I studied a lot of cool things this week. I kept up with a study of faith - and found Alma 13:3 that talks about how we had faith before this life - or in other words, faith that Christ really would live a perfect life and pay for our sins. Because if he had failed, we would all be stuck outside of heaven forever. (It says something like this - "Therefore, having chosen good and exercising a lot of faith" in reference to the people who kept their first estate (choosing to come to earth and follow God's plan)

I also read a bunch from Job this week. I thought Job1:20-22 was interesting, because Job didn't even get upset or mad or anything even though he had just lost everything.

Lastly, I thought 1 Cor 12:12-27 was interesting. I really like the analogies of all of us being part of one body, or in other words, one church. We all have different roles, different capacities, and different abilities. We shouldn't get jealous or upset that someone is an eye when we are a foot. Because everything is necessary.
(Sorry this is a random tangent)
One thing different about the culture here is that you call everyone something different if you don't know their name. And it's not rude. You just call them what they are. For example, you can say "Ola moça" or "Ola moço" which mean "Hello young woman" (or young man). You call people Negro, (if they're African American) Alemão (if they're German) Velho(a) (if they're old). This applies to family relations too. You call your mother in law, mother in law (sougra). You call your cousin, cousin (primo). It's kind of weird but cool. (Side note- I also get called Tiozinho which means little uncle)
(to continue)
Here's a few things that happened this week-
  • I got a haircut- all of them cut, to be specific.
  • I played soccer for the first time here. (On P-day) That was really cool. We went to a public field and played there. There was a ton of guys there who played pretty good. When they saw that I could catch the ball (thanks, football), they wanted me to play goalie, and I did really well. I even survived the penalty kick round! They all called me Alemão (which means German). And it was all really fun.

Elder Angus told the future this week. We were talking about the 10 commandments with Adinam, and he used an example of loaning 200 dollars for a friend to buy a motorcycle. Adinam freaked out because that was exactly what he was planning on doing after the lesson.

We had a few people be a little rude this week. We walked past a house that had a little sign in front that said (Sorvete- R$2) which means we could buy ice cream for two reals. What luck! (It's usually expensive). 

Anyway, when we clapped by the gate (that's how you knock here because all the houses have fences around them) the man that came out wouldn't even talk to us. He said "Não, obrigado" (no, thank you) and walked to the other side of his yard. We didn't want to teach him just buy some ice cream so we waited a little bit and then I said, "Vende sorvete aqui?" (Do you sell ice cream here) and he said "Não, obrigado" I then said "Não tem mais?" (Are you out?) And he said "Não, obrigado." So no ice cream for us. (By the way, saying no thank you is rude here). 

At the next house we stopped to teach, something even funnier happened- while Elder Angus was giving an opening prayer, the girl and her brother ran away- leaving only her boyfriend there with us- he didn't even live there!

We had a lot of blessings this week finding people to teach. We are working with João, who is a 13 year old boy. He's super fun, but he uses a lot of slang and it's hard to understand him. Especially when he's with his friend Lucas (a member). I took my Priesthood line of authority to show him, and realized that it wasn't in Portuguese! So I'll be working to translate that.

I had a sad experience this week - one of our recent converts - Amanda told me that I'd abandoned them. They've gone inactive (for a lot of reasons, one major reason being that they moved to the very back of Primavera, which is about 55 minutes away from the chapel on foot - if you walk like a missionary. They don't have a car, and no money to pay for a bus. We don't have enough members with cars to have someone pass by to pick them up) 

It's sad because we kind of did abandon them. We have so many people to teach and visit that it is really hard to find any time to visit our converts. It's largely the job of the ward to keep up with them. Sadly, the ward can't do much to visit people like them that live so far away, because not very many people have cars. We'll just have to keep working with them.

This Sunday was the Sacrament meeting of the primary. It was really nice to see. I love kids. They don't sing very well here (about everyone here is tune deaf) but they sing with spirit. So listening to the kids sing the primary songs was cool. Greice's kids took part in the program so that was awesome.

Along the lines of Greice, I have a great story about the baptism of Paola, her daughter, from this week. Because Greice's not a member, we take care of the baptisms of all of her kids. (We already baptized Luis and Marcio).

We are also hoping to baptize her mom (Rosa).

So Rosa has this hope to be baptized in a river. Our goal with her was to be baptized yesterday with Paola in a river. But Rosa never went to church. The thing is, Paola still wanted to be baptized in a river. So we got everything taken care of, hopped in the car of our branch president and branch mission leader, and drove off to a river. And now, here's a few tips about how to baptize in a river-
  1. Make sure that the candidate for a river baptism doesn't have any sort of fear of water
  2. Don’t let the branch president's wife think that a river might be dangerous
  3. Especially don't let the branch president's wife talk about the dangers of a river
  4. Don’t let a worried branch president's wife drive the car that has the candidate of river baptism, especially if you aren't also in the car.
  5. When you find the river, don't let the branch president's wife start to talk about how deep the water probably is
  6. When you finally calm down the candidate and sing and pray before the baptism, don't let the branch mission leader pray that the water won't be too deep.
  7. It's probably best to have everyone be quiet and let the candidate feel the spirit instead of letting their brothers try to convince them to enter the water. 

Sadly, we didn't follow these steps. I love our branch president's wife. But I also think that sometimes we can worry too much. 

So what happened.....

We finally got Paola to enter the water. (See the picture in my other post) but only after a lot of talking and assuring. But she still was scared. She covered her face and wouldn't talk. I wasn't going to baptize someone who was scared to death! So I bent down and asked her what she wanted to do. I told her we could leave the water if she wanted. I think she really wanted to be baptized there but was too scared - she couldn't decide. She couldn't even move. So I lifted her out of the water to the shore. We drove all the way back into town to the chapel and baptized her there in the baptismal font (with icy water). Paola was shaking so bad because of the cold, but she wanted to be baptized, so we did it! What a journey!

So anyway, I'm really excited to be transferred- I’ve got to pack my bags and stuff today so I can leave tomorrow! Next week I'll let y'all know where I am.

Love

Elder Jasperson

No comments:

Post a Comment