I don't think I said this yet, but here in Brazil we have basically one meal a day. Breakfast is called coffee of the morning, and it’s a snack. We eat a big lunch, and dinner is called Lanche, which means snack. So we don't eat much. The members take care of doing lunch, so we make our own foods at morning and night. It's different, but I'm adapting to a new eating schedule.
Last Pday, I made pizza! I sent pictures of how that turned
out. I'm going to try it again sometime this week. Along the lines of food, at
the end of the week we all run out, but the other morning I remember watching
mom make french toast, and I had eggs and milk and bread, so I did it. Elder de
Olivera thought I was crazy, but I liked it.
Other news, I ate eggplant! I ate it in the CTM too, but
never told you. It's really good. Especially when it's fried.
The branch president's wife bought us dinner one night
(she's an angel). 4 hamburgers, which they call xis (pronounced shis). The
pictures will show how huge the thing is. It was delicious. We are so lucky to
have her. She is so helpful. On Sundays, every Sunday, she is committed to
drive families of our investigators to church.
I also sent pictures of me slacklining. Because this week
when we were walking through town we saw a guy doing it. It was cool to reuse
that talent for a bit. Another talent I used this week is I played a trumpet.
We were walking at night and singing hymns, when all of a sudden an older lady
opened her window and sang with us. She's not a member, and isn't interested,
but loves church music. She brought out a really nice trumpet, and played for
us. Except she didn't really know how to play the trumpet. So there, in the
street in front of her house, I played the trumpet.
Karen, an inactive member that we found in the street is
really special. She has two daughters, Amanda (who reminds me of Amanda Rasmussen
and Truman) and Thalia. Amanda really likes listening, but Thalia didn't. Karen
wants to return to church, so this Sunday, they all came. And Thalia decided
that she wants to be baptized too.
This week Elder de Olivera and I prayed for inspiration to
know which neighborhood we should tract this week. We both chose the same one,
so I know it was guidance from the Lord. While clapping (because we don't
knock, we stand in the street and clap) doors, we found a family of 7. They
have a lot of faith and a desire to follow Christ. They came to church this
Sunday, and are excited to continue to receive lessons.
This Sunday, we were on splits again, so I went to Santo
Antônio to church with Elder Eliason. There isn't a ward or even a branch
there, just a group. They meet in a school of English. Anyway, on Saturday, we
got a call asking the missionaries to give talks on Sunday. So I gave a talk
there. At first I was really nervous, but it was fine.
One sad thing is that our other investigator named Karen,
who has 3 little kids, isn't taking lessons from us anymore. She told us that
her dad doesn't like our visits. So we moved on. It's disappointing when things
like that happen, but they don't stop our work!
This week we had zone conference which means we got mail! I
got letters from some of you and that was really nice! So thanks! I love
getting mail.
I love all of you and hope you are doing well. Remember that
we are children of God. We taught a young woman this week who didn't believe
that. Her church had taught that we are just creatures created to serve God. I
am so glad that we were able to talk to her and teach her that we have a loving
father in heaven. This truth is so important. God loves all of us and blesses
us when we are faithful and diligent. We are currently being so blessed here
and I know that God will bless all of you too.
Love,
Elder Jasperson
| I made pizza! |
| Elder de Olivera is amazed |
| Xis (hamburger) |
| Eating xis! |
| Slacklining |
| Zone Conference |
| Teaching the Gospel! |
| Independence Day Parade |
No comments:
Post a Comment