So to begin this week I have to say that I love cornbread.
Because I made it this week.
One more cool thing about food -- a member gave us R$50 (25
USD) for lunch instead of having lunch in their casa. So we went all out with
the food from the supermarket. And we feasted because food is relatively cheap.
We bought chocolate milk mix and mixed it with sweet and condensed milk, and it
was probably the most delicious thing ever. Sweet and condensed milk is a big
thing here. Everyone eats it a lot. They use it like mayonnaise, which they
also use a lot.
We also bought goiabada (which I've previously called
"personal pan watermelon" because it is like a baby watermelon) and
that was the best treat of all. Because those things are delicious.
So here are a few scriptures that I like from this week
2 Nephi 31 and 32 (whole chapters) -- I call chapter 32
"how to endure to the end" because that's what it's about, really.
Chapter 31 really lays out the whole gospel of Christ, but what I realized this
week, is the first 4 steps of the gospel (fé, arrependimento, batismo, dom do
espírito santo) [editor’s translation note: faith, repentance, baptism, and
gift of the holy ghost] are pretty quick steps. And after we get the Holy Ghost,
we all spend the rest of our lives in the 5th step- endure to the end
(perseverar até o fim). Basically, everything we are learning now, from
prophets, from scriptures, everything is teaching us how to endure to the end. And
it's all centered in chapter 32 of second Nephi. So if you want to be saved, do
what that chapter says.
I like that this verse compares our choices to day and
night. Because every choice we make, really, is either for good or for bad. And
the difference between the two is really obvious, if we stop to think about it.
But if we don't think, Satan is pretty good at tricking us.
Moroni 7:41-42. These verses have cool meanings in Portuguese.
Because the verb "esperar" means both "hope' and "expect."
(This gets confusing when people talk sometimes, because, for example, I might
ask "do you think it will rain?" And the response will be "não
espero" which means both “I hope not" and "I expect not."
And so I never really get an answer) But anyway, this verse is telling us that
we need to both hope and expect the second coming.
Anyway, this week was awesome, because we baptized, and
more, we achieved all of those goals of the mission- I sent a list a few weeks
back.
| Thalia and Amanda before their baptism |
More, I've seen a change in Thalia. When we began to teach
them, she resisted our teaching. She didn't want to go to church, etc. But now
she's excited to be a member and is much happier. This gospel really changes
lives.
| waiting for the baptism ... teaching the other missionaries to "Gig 'em" |
So while he was driving, we entertained all the people by
singing and taking turns talking from the pulpit. Finally he arrived and we had
the baptism. It was awesome. Elders Eliason and Souza baptized 3 more this week
too.
We're excited to continue to work. We invited Seloni, a
sister of probably 55 years, to be baptized. Her son was listening in on the
lesson and he said that he wants to be baptized too! So yay!
I'm almost understanding everything that people say, but I
have to press attention. But I know I'm getting much closer to being fluent.
This week one of our investigators, Rita, asked that I pray in English. That
turned out to be pretty funny because I kept messing up. I'd insert Portuguese
words into my prayer and have to stop to correct myself!
I love you all and hope that you're doing well! Do something
awesome this week like tell a friend about the Book of Mormon, or invite
someone to church. This gospel is true, and I know it.
Até mais!
Elder Jasperson
Everyone feel free to email me (tanner.jasperson@myldsmail.net) - I'll respond to you all (:
| I still prefer to drink milk straight from the container! |
| a capybara farm |
No comments:
Post a Comment