Well well! Where to start?
I'll start with talking about how being in the MTC is like
being stuck in Groundhog Day. It's the same thing, over and over every day.
Sometimes my companions and I go crazy because we've been sitting alone in our
classroom for so long. But, there's hope for our tiny (3 person) district.
Today, there are supposed to be 3 new Elders and a new Sister coming in from
Provo to join our district. That'll be great! But because of this, our
companionship trio will probably be broken up. We'll see how that goes.
We got two new investigators this week: Carla and Angelo.
Yesterday, we committed Angelo to be baptized. Our lessons have been going
really well. On Monday when we were teaching Angelo, it suddenly dawned on me
that we were teaching in Portuguese. We weren't struggling for words, there
weren't awkward long pauses as we tried to figure out what to say, we were
TEACHING IN PORTUGUE! So yeah, that was a cool moment.
But with every up there's a down, because our next lesson
with Angelo was really rough for me. I couldn't remember what we were planning
on teaching, my Portuguese was choppy, and I could barely understand anything
that Angelo said. That was hard. I felt really down after the lesson, and I was
really discouraged, so one of my companions told me to pray. That really
helped. As I humbly prayed and asked for comfort, I could feel the love of God
and I calmed down.
My whole life I've always wanted to have a cool name that
people struggled to pronounce. Well now I've got it. I can't fathom why, but
here in Brazil, the people struggle with saying Jasperson. They can't say it
right, can't write it, and can't read it. It's rather funny. A group of Elders
that we play Basquete (basketball) with during Actividade Physica calls me
Elder Jefferson.
I've met a few elders from my mission area, Porto Alegre,
and all of them have told me two things: 1- it's cold, and 2- they eat a lot of
meat there. I'm excited for the meat part, because right now we are eating one
or two servings of different meats at every meal. So I'd like to see what
Brazilians mean when they say "a lot of meat."
For those of you that know the song "Head Shoulders
Knees and Toes," I learned it in Portuguese:
Cabaça ombro joelha e pé
joelha e pé
joelha e pé
cabaça ombro joelha e pé
olhos ouvidos boca e nariz.
Pronunciation: (Cab-ace-ah) (ohm-bro) (joel-ya) (e)
(pay).... (ole-yoes) (owe-vi-doughs) (bock-ah) (e) (nah-reez)
That was a fun moment in class.
My favorite part of our day is at the end of the day when we
are getting ready for bed. We have a big window in our room and I open it up
and look out over the city and think "Wow, I'm in a foreign place!"
My least favorite part of the day is walking up the stairs. We probably
traverse 50 flights per day.
Here are some fun facts about where I'm living:
São Paulo has over 10 million residents. Like the city. One
huge city.
Inside the blue circle on the Brazilian flag, there is a
star for every state. The star for Rio de Sul, the state of Porto Alegre, is
the biggest one on the bottom right.
Power outlets in Brazil have circular ends, not little
lines. (The pegs on plugs are two circles).
The only bugs that come into the CTM are cock roaches and
these little grey flies. This is because the air pollution of São Paulo kills
all other bugs.
They spray the floors every morning with pesticide, so the
cockroaches (sorry, I don't know how to spell that) die and get swept up.
I'm loving life here in Brazil. I've developed an addiction
to pineapple juice, with passion fruit as a close second. I really like beans
and rice, and I can iron a shirt in less than 3 minutes. I sleep like a rock
most every night.
Last night a big cold front came in and so it's actually
fairly cold. They say it's snowing just south of us, which makes me worry about
how cold Porto Alegre is going to be! (It's much more south).
That's my story for the week! Write me letters and email me!
I look forward to any communication with anyone. (After all, I'm stuck with my
companions as the only people to talk to for most of the day). But Elder Taylor
and Elder Sanders are both really great so it never gets boring.
Eu sei que o evangelho de Jesus Cristo pode abencoar a viva
do todas pessoas. Eu sei que Deus é nosso amorosso Pai Celestial. Eu amo ele.
Eu sou gratos por todas minhas abencoas e por minha familia e meus amigos. Esta
semana, eu orei saber novamente se O Livro de Mormon é verdadeiro. Deus
responda á minha oracão. Eu sei que esse livro é. Eu sei que se vocês lêem O
Livro de Mormon, vocês pode saber tambem. Deus me ajude e o Espirito Santos me
guia todas dias. Eu esto aprendando Português muito rapido. Por esta coisas eu
sou grato. Em o name de Jesus Cristo, amêm.
LOVE, ELDER JASPERSON
Tanner "Elder Jasperson" it s so good to hear you are doing well and loving every part of your mission thus far. I enjoy reading your posts every chance I get. I am currently reading this post while holding our first son, Latham. It has been so long since we have seen you that you would be surprised to see us with all 4 of our kids now. I think we only had 2 the last time we saw you. We are getting ready to move into our new home so we are very excited about that.It sounds like you are getting winwinter weather their. I bet you weren't expecting that! Well, I look forward to hearing more about your mission. Good luck, and know that we love you.
ReplyDeleteYour cousin, Hana